The March Flood of 2011 in the Meier Home

It was a cloudy afternoon on Thursday, March 24, when I left my house to teach my two computer classes.  My students were going to be taking a test that day, so I knew I was going to be on my feet most of the time, making sure everyone kept their eyes on their own papers (and computers) and to be able to answer any questions they might have.

As I walked around the room, I started to hear the sound of rain hitting the roof.  I looked out the far window behind the teacher’s desk and saw….nothing.  I thought that was very strange.  So, I walked over to the other side of the room.  Sure enough, there was rain falling on that side of the building.  It was a light rain, but it only in that location.  I thought it was very strange to see rain on one side of the building and not the other. 

The sky however did appear to be growing darker as the class continued.  Near the end of my first class, it seemed as if someone had turned over a huge bucket in the sky and the rain began to thunder down all around us. 

I didn’t think much of it until about ten minutes into my second computer class.  Suddenly, my phone began to ring.  I felt a little annoyed wondering who would call me when I’m in class.  I don’t like to answer my phone in class, but I decided to check to see who might be calling and I noticed that it was the nanny.  When I called her back, she sounded frantic.

She said, “I’m sorry to bother you, but the house is flooding!  Water is pouring into the kitchen and the bathrooms and I don’t know how to keep the water out and keep the children from getting into the water.” 

I assured her that I would call someone as soon as possible to get over there and help her. I immediately called Stephen and told him the situation and then tried to finish my class without worrying too much about my children at home.  As soon as my class ended, I ran home to find out that the rain storm had dropped so much water in a short time that the water pipes underground had overflowed up through the drains in our house.  The drain in the kitchen, both bathrooms and down the hallway from our house became fountains of water as they pumped water into our home.

Fortunately, Stephen ran home right away and helped the maid sweep the water back out of doors as it came pouring in.  So, the six inches of potential water flow became only one inch standing on the ground.  Another fortunate thing was that the worst of the flooding took place in the area of the house with tile floor.  There was one room with that rug that got extremely wet.  The other two bedrooms only got water through the front entrances. 

The spare bedroom rug got the most damage.

Our living room furniture stands in a pool of water


The master bath flooded our bedroom and the corner of the room where Grace's bed is located.


For the next few days, we did everything we could to dry out the rugs, and then try to remove the smell of dirt and mustiness.  We used heaters to dry the rug, carpet cleaner and powder to try to remove the smells, but it wasn’t working very well.  Our entire home began to smell like an old, sweaty locker by the fifth day. 

The decision was made to remove all the carpets from our home in order to remove the risk of carpets molding.  The risk was higher for us, because we live in a basement and it is hard to get fresh air in there to dry out the floor. 

It was a stressful time for me, Cristina, especially because of the approaching due date of my child.  However, we were able to get all the carpet out of the house and the floors cleaned by Friday, April 1, just in time for Cristina to go into labor.

One Comment

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s