From Texas to Thailand: Where are the Mk Meiers going?

In my February update,I mentioned that I was running a single-family home as Stephen was globe trotting to find a new administrative position that would support us financially and allow me to stay at home for a few years with our three kids.  After many inquiries, applications, forms and interviews, it seemed that the opportunities were narrowing themselves down to two locations.  It was going to be either Texas or Thailand.  Besides the fact that they both start with the letter “T” and are less than an hour away from the ocean, the similarities end there. 

Texas is only one time zone away where Thailand is 12 time zones away.  Texas gets a fair balance of heat and cold throughout the year, where Thailand is a consistent, tropical and humid climate.  They speak Thai in Thailand and…well, you know what they speak in Texas. Of course, Texas is part of the United States and would mean that we would no longer be working in an international community in the way that we could in Thailand and the way that we have grown to love in Ecuador. 

After visiting both schools, Stephen felt positive about working in either location.  I began to pray that God would make it obvious where we should go, because it was looking like a hard decision to make.  When Stephen returned to Ecuador, neither school had officially offered a position.  So, I prayed that God would close the door in Texas if he really wanted us to go to Thailand.

A few days later, the school in Texas offered us a wonderful financial package that opened a financial opportunity for me to stop working and for us to be able to afford to live in the U.S. once again.  After talking to the director in the school in Thailand once again, we felt that God was guiding Stephen to accept the position as ‘Head of School’ for Brazosport Christian School in Lake Jackson, Texas.

We feel at peace in knowing where we will be going next year, since we have been waiting so long for God’s direction in this decision.  We hope and pray to be able to return to the mission field at some point in the future, but believe that God will provide many avenues of ministry to serve him in this new position as the head of a school in a small community of Lake Jackson, Texas. 

Now, it is time to enjoy the last few months of our time at the Alliance Academy International and try to make closure in our hearts as we prepare to leave the country that we have enjoyed ministering in so much in the past three years.  The move is not an easy one, because we have grown to appreciate the community and the students that we work with here.  But we know that God is calling us to move on and we are ready to follow his leading.

Advertisements

Deciding to Stay in Quito

As the first semester of the 2008-2009 school year was coming to an end during the final week of January, and the Mk Meiers were welcoming Luke Evan into the family, it was becoming apparent that their financial situation was not getting any better.  The mortgage on their empty townhouse was creating a monthly deficit of approximately $1,000.  Monthly expenses were consistently exceeding monthly support/income.

We often had to use our credit cards to cover the costs we couldn’t afford in cash.  It didn’t help that we had to pay all medical expenses for the pregnancy of Cristina and the birth of baby Luke up front before we could get any reimbursement from our health insurance.

Stephen had decided that it was time to start looking for jobs in the U.S. that would help us get out of our difficult financial situation.  In the months of December, January and February, he was contacted by different schools and being interviewed for administrative positions at several Christian schools.  He even purchased a plane ticket to the U.S. for mid-April so that he could visit some of these schools and make a decision about which job to accept. 

During this entire process, the other administrative staff at the Alliance Academy International (AAI) expressed their regrets that we were considering leaving at the end of the school year.  The director did not want to see Stephen leave.  We explained that we didn’t want to leave.  It was our financial situation that was forcing us to go back. 

Then three things happened to completely change our minds:
1) Our support levels increased
2) We found a tenant for our townhouse as of March
3) AAI offered us a financial package that would decrease our monthly expenses and increase our monthly support by the school.

First of all, we have felt so honored and blessed by friends and family in our lives.  We watched in awe as several of them began to support us by giving us a one-time gift or have supported us each month since January.  We thank each one of you who stepped out to became a vital part of our ministry.  We also know that those of you who haven’t been able to support us financially, have been supporting us with your prayers.  There have been many times that I know your prayer covering has kept us from being discouraged and disheartened.  Thank you for your faithful friendship to us!

Secondly, our realtor e-mailed us at the end of February to tell us that he had found a tenant who was willing to move into our townhouse and started paying rent at the beginning of March.  Although the rent does not cover our entire mortgage, it takes care of a big chunk of it that was pulling us further into debt each month.  We praise God for his faithfulness to us in this area.  It is wonderful to see this monthly income being put into our bank account each month.

Finally, AAI proposed that we move on campus this summer.  They would cover the cost of our rent, utilities, local phone and Internet connection.  This would save us approximately $750 in monthly expenses.  In exchange for free housing, we have been given more responsibilities for the following school year.  Stephen will be taking on new leadership activities by overseeing campus ministries and Cristina will be teaching more classes, become a 8th grade class sponsor and doing some public relations projects for the school. 

We’ve also agreed to allow a small daycare in our home for some of the mothers of young babies (under 18 months old).  Presently two other mothers are interested in bringing their babies to school, during the hours that they work, in order to be close by for regular feedings.  The school has offered to pay our nanny a little extra to help with these babies. This is a blessing to us, because we would like to pay her more for her work, but have been financially unable to do so. 

Therefore, we were able to make our final decision by mid-March.  We are staying in Ecuador for at least one more school year.  This fall, we will begin again to re-evaluate our financial situation and see if we can continue in Ecuador for longer than that.

UPDATE (OCTOBER 2009):  We have decided to stay for a third year and will continue our ministry through the 2010-2011 school year.

Note: This is an update of the post written in mid-March.
https://mkmeierfam.wordpress.com/2009/03/04/the-frequent-flier-takes-off-in-april/