From Texas to Thailand: Where are the Mk Meiers going?

In my February update,I mentioned that I was running a single-family home as Stephen was globe trotting to find a new administrative position that would support us financially and allow me to stay at home for a few years with our three kids.  After many inquiries, applications, forms and interviews, it seemed that the opportunities were narrowing themselves down to two locations.  It was going to be either Texas or Thailand.  Besides the fact that they both start with the letter “T” and are less than an hour away from the ocean, the similarities end there. 

Texas is only one time zone away where Thailand is 12 time zones away.  Texas gets a fair balance of heat and cold throughout the year, where Thailand is a consistent, tropical and humid climate.  They speak Thai in Thailand and…well, you know what they speak in Texas. Of course, Texas is part of the United States and would mean that we would no longer be working in an international community in the way that we could in Thailand and the way that we have grown to love in Ecuador. 

After visiting both schools, Stephen felt positive about working in either location.  I began to pray that God would make it obvious where we should go, because it was looking like a hard decision to make.  When Stephen returned to Ecuador, neither school had officially offered a position.  So, I prayed that God would close the door in Texas if he really wanted us to go to Thailand.

A few days later, the school in Texas offered us a wonderful financial package that opened a financial opportunity for me to stop working and for us to be able to afford to live in the U.S. once again.  After talking to the director in the school in Thailand once again, we felt that God was guiding Stephen to accept the position as ‘Head of School’ for Brazosport Christian School in Lake Jackson, Texas.

We feel at peace in knowing where we will be going next year, since we have been waiting so long for God’s direction in this decision.  We hope and pray to be able to return to the mission field at some point in the future, but believe that God will provide many avenues of ministry to serve him in this new position as the head of a school in a small community of Lake Jackson, Texas. 

Now, it is time to enjoy the last few months of our time at the Alliance Academy International and try to make closure in our hearts as we prepare to leave the country that we have enjoyed ministering in so much in the past three years.  The move is not an easy one, because we have grown to appreciate the community and the students that we work with here.  But we know that God is calling us to move on and we are ready to follow his leading.

Stephen’s Job Hunt

Stephen made his decision official with the director of the Alliance Academy International a few weeks ago and let him know that he is actively looking for a new school administrative job position for next school year.  Our school made the announcement within the school to find out if anyone is interested in trying to apply for his job and then will open the job to others who might be interested. 

In the meantime, Stephen has been traveling a bit of a roller coaster and he signs up for different hiring associations for Christian schools in the United States and international schools around the world.  There have been a few schools that have responded with interest. 

One international school in La Paz, Bolivia, went as far as to say that he was one of the semi-finalists for their hiring process.  They told him that if he made it to the next “round” they would invite him to come visit them at the end of September.  This brought us to a place of waiting for several weeks in which Stephen tried not to make any extra plans for the final week of September as he might be traveling.  Finally, on the last day of September, he got a response saying that he had not made the final cut and two other candidates were being asked to visit the school. 

So, now, Stephen moves on to other job perspectives.  He recently signed up for a special hiring conference that will take place in Atlanta, Georgia during the first week of December. This association helps to supply new teachers for international schools specifically in South America.  During that time, he also plans to visit a Christian school in Naples, Florida that has also expressed an interest in hiring him.

He has also looked at some other schools internationally that might work for us.  A school in Seoul, South Korea contacted Stephen to see if he was interested in applying for a position as high school principal there.  Stephen also saw an opening for a school in China and applied for that job as well. 

Please keep us in prayer during this process as we try to figure out where God is trying to take us next.  Wherever we go, we want to continue to serve him in all that we do.  Ideally, Stephen would like to have a job offer settled by the end of the year.

The Frequent Flier “Planned” a Trip for April

************Special Note: Update Listed Below***********

As of mid-March, Stephen cancelled his April trip to the U.S. and made a decision to stay in Ecuador for at least one more year. Find out more at the following link:
     Ever since last November, Stephen has been looking for job openings for a school administrator position in light of the possibility of not being able to continue working at the Alliance Academy International. 

     As we pray for God’s direction for the following school year, Stephen has also received feedback from most of the schools to which he has made inquires.  Some schools have sent polite and brief rejection letters.  Some have expressed interest in keeping his record on file and others have set up interviews and asked if it would be possible for him to come visit them.
     In light of these requests, Stephen has decided to make a week long trip to the U.S. to visit the schools that seem the most likely to offer him a position for next year.  

     His specific itinerary for his April trip is not complete at this point.  All he knows for sure at this point is that he might be visiting schools in northern Florida, Georgia, Virginia, Maryland, Pennsylvania and possibly Massachusetts and returning to Quito on May 2nd.  He will be looking for places to spend the night as he travels around looking at schools.  You can let him know if you are interested in the possibility of visiting with him in this whirlwind traveling adventure.  Cristina and the boys will be staying in Quito.


     E-mail: booking booking