The end of another month didn’t exactly bring us fall weather, but it did give us a few days of extra relaxation. Traditionally, Ecuador celebrates “Dia de los Difuntos” (Day of the Dead) as a federal holiday. They also decided the day that follows this holiday, which is Cuenca Independence Day (one of the major cities in Ecuador), also deserves to be a holiday. This year, those two days of November second and third fell on Tuesday and Wednesday. A couple weeks before prior, the president decided that Monday should also be considered part of that holiday in order to give everyone an extra long weekend.
Fortunately, our school had already planned to take that day off. So, we were not caught by surprise with the last minute change in holiday scheduling by the government. I hope to take the extra time to finish up my grading (first quarter grades are due next week) and try to get some more research done on my Ph.D. dissertation while also hoping to get some additional rest now that I’m in my 18th week of pregnancy.
So, please browse our blog links to find out more details about what has been going on in the past month with the Meier Family. Read about the following items:
1) An Election of Reflection (Ministry)– Cristina has been working with a group of students in the school’s civic club and the senior U.S. Government class to simulate a mock election that reflects the issues in this year’s election in the U.S.
2) Stephen’s Upcoming Recruitment Voyage (Ministry) – as Stephen looks for a new location to serve God in the area of school administration, he is planning on attending a conference in Atlanta, Georgia at the end of this month.
3) Experiencing Dora Live (TCK Views) – read about a birthday party that included a real, live and very Latin Dora.
4) The Nanny with the Chicken Pox (Ministry) – the past two weeks brought an added challenge to Cristina when her boys’ nanny came down with the chicken pox.
5) Pregnancy Update (Family News)– although we still don’t know the gender of our little “tummy package,” here is a brief update on the developments this month.
6) Meier Boy Accomplishments (Family News)– read a brief update in the lives of our two toddlers